Watch Young Montgomery with YLM program participants
About the Program
Youth Leadership Montgomery(YLM) is a two-part program based on a partnership between YLM and Maryland Leadership Workshops (MLW) that provides an experience to develop leadership skills and community awareness for Montgomery County public or independent high school students entering grades 9-12. There are other youth programs available for high school students, but there is no comprehensive program that has as profound an impact. Youth Leadership Montgomery empowers students with the skills necessary to achieve success in all facets of their lives and inspires them to exercise their leadership to enhance their schools and communities.
Part one of the program is a week-long residential summer session run by MLW at Washington College in Chestertown, MD. MLW has been conducting peer-led programs for middle and high school students for over 55 years. Students from around the state of Maryland get to know each other by participating in daily workshops and have the opportunity to spend time on a college campus.
In the fall – during part two of the program - the young leaders learn about issues in the community, the role of nonprofit organizations and the importance of civic engagement through the example of passionate leaders, as well as hands-on activities.
Those who complete both parts of the program will be presented a certificate of graduation. Students will also be provided letters of recommendation.
- Sharpen critical skills including: confidence, leadership and public speaking
- Meet new friends from different backgrounds
- Examine your own values, philosophies and beliefs
- Improve presentation and communication skills
- Stengthen your ability to lead, follow and work within a team
- Enhance school transcript
- Are Montgomery County public or independent high school students entering grades 9-12
- Can commit to attending all sessions
- Represent diverse age, race, gender, socioeconomic, sexual orientation and religious backgrounds
- Can demonstrate a commitment to volunteer leadership in the community
- Have the full support of their parent(s) to participate in the program
Candidates accepted into the program are expected to fully participate in both parts of the program.
Tuition is $980 and covers all program costs, including room and meals at MLW. Financial aid is available based on need. No financial aid requests will be considered after the deadline. Payment plans can be arranged. More detailed information about payment options and refund policy are on the application.
How to Apply
Youth Leadership Montgomery is on hold for 2017 while we evaluate and make some adjustments to the program. Please check LM’s website in the Spring of 2018 for updates.
For more information, contact (301) 881-3333 to talk to Vice President, Leadership Programs Ali Levingston or email firstname.lastname@example.org